PYQ NEET MCQ Chapter 10: Cell Cycle and Division
Cell Cycle and Cell Division introduce us to the cycle that every cell undergoes for replication. This cycle includes the interphase where the cell prepares itself for division by increasing its protoplasmic content. In Interphase cells do not divide, it includes G1, S and G2 phases. M Phase is the stage where a cell divides. It includes Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase and Telophase. This chapter discusses mitosis and meiosis as well. Let’s have a look at Cell Cycle and Cell Division NEET Previous Year Questions.
ATTEMPT ALL QUESTIONS BY YOURSELF FIRST THEN CHECK THE SOLUTIONS. BRIEF EXPLANATIONS ABOUT THE SOLUTIONS ARE GIVEN AT THE END AS WELL.
Cell Cycle NEET Previous Year Questions
- Which stage of meiotic prophase shows terminalisation of chiasmata as its distinctive feature? (2021)
- The centriole undergoes duplication during (2021)
(b) G₂ phase
- Which of the following stages of meiosis involves division of centromere? (2021)
(a) Anaphase II
(b) Telophase II
(c) Metaphase I
(d) Metaphase II
- Match List – I with List-II. (2021)
(a) S phase (i) Proteins are synthesised
(b) G2 phase (ii) Inactive phase
(c)Quiescent stage (iii) Interval between mitosis and initiation of DNA replication
(d) G1 phase (iv) DNA replication
Choose the correct answer from the options given below.
(a) (b) (c) (d)
- (iv) (i) (ii) (iii)
- (ii) (iv) (iii) (i)
- (iii) (ii) (i) (iv)
- (iv) (ii) (iii) (i)
Questions from 2020
- Dissolution of the synaptonemal complex occurs during: (2020)
- Some dividing cells exit the cell cycle and enter the vegetative inactive stage. This is called the quiescent stage (Go). This process occurs at the end of (2020)
(d) M phase
7. Match the following with respect to meiosis: (2020)
(a) Zygotene i) Terminalization
(b) Pachytene ii) Chiasmata
(c) Diplotene iii) Crossing over
(d) Diakinesis (iv) Synapsis
Select the correct option from the following:
(a) (b) (c) (d)
(1) (iv) (iii) (ii) (i)
(2) (i) (ii) (iv) (iii)
(3) (ii) (iv) (iii) (i)
(4) (iii) (iv) (i) (ii)
8. Identify the correct statement with regard to G₁ phase (Gap 1) of interphase. (2020)
(a) Reorganisation of all cell components takes place.
(b) Cell is metabolically active, grows but does not replicate its DNA.
(c) Nuclear Division takes place.
(d) DNA synthesis or replication takes place.
Questions from 2016-2019
- Cells in G0 phase (2019)
(a) terminate the cell cycle
(b) exit the cell cycle
(c) enter the cell cycle
(d) suspend the cell cycle.
- The correct sequence of phases of the cell cycle is (2019)
(a) G₁ S-G₂→M
(b) M-G₁G₂ →S
(c) G₁ G₂ S-M
(d) S→G₁ G₂ → M.
- Crossing over takes place between which chromatids and in which stage of the cell cycle? (Odisha NEET 2019)
(a) Non-sister chromatids of non-homologous chromosomes at Zygotene stage of prophase I.
(b) Non-sister chromatids of homologous chromosomes at Pachytene stage of prophase I.
(c) Non-sister chromatids of homologous chromosomes at Zygotene stage of prophase I.
(d) Non-sister chromatids of non-homologous chromosomes at Pachytene stage of prophase I.
- Stage during which separation of the paired homologous chromosomes begins is (2018)
- Which of the following options gives the correct sequence of events during mitosis? (2017)
(a) Condensation → Nuclear membrane disassembly →→ Arrangement at equator→ Centromere division → Segregation → Telophase
(b) Condensation Crossing over → Nuclear membrane disassembly →→ Segregation → Telophase
(c) Condensation → Arrangement at equator → Centromere division →→Segregation → Telophase
(d) Condensation →→ Nuclear membrane disassembly – Crossing over → Segregation → Telophase
- Anaphase Promoting Complex (APC) is a protein degradation machinery necessary for proper mitosis of animal cells. If APC is defective in a human cell, which of the following is expected to occur? (2017)
(a) Chromosomes will be fragmented.
(b) Chromosomes will not segregate.
(c) Recombination of chromosome arms will occur.
(d) Chromosomes will not condense.
- During cell growth, DNA synthesis takes place in (2016)
(d) M phase.
Solutions of Cell Cycle NEET Previous Year Questions
Short Explanation of Solutions
- Diakinesis is the last stage of the prophase that comes after the diplotene stage. In the diakinesis stage, the X-Shaped Chiasmata that has been formed in diplotene is terminalised.
- The centriole is a cell organelle present only in animal cells. Centriole divides in the S-phase when DNA Replication is also taking place.
- In meiosis, no division of centromere takes place in Anaphase 1 of the Meiosis 1 cycle. However, Meiosis 2 cycle is similar to mitosis and centromere division for segregation takes place in the Anaphase 2 of meiosis 2.
- In the S phase, DNA Replication happens.G0 is the inactive quiescent stage. In G2 proteins are synthesised. G1 is the interval between the M and S phase of DNA Replication.
- Synaptonemal complex distinctly formed at the pachytene stage is dissolved at the diplotene stage of Prophase.
- If the cells of the G1 phase are not required to divide then they enter an inactive quiescent stage called the G0 phase. Hence G0 phase is immediately after the G1 phase.
- Synapsis happens in Zygotene, Crossing over happens at Pachytene, Chiasmata X shaped structure is formed at diplotene and terminalisation of this chiasmata takes place in diakinesis.
- No Nuclear or DNA replication takes place and there is no rearrangement in the G1 phase. Cells at G1 are active metabolically and are preparing to divide.
- Cells at G0 quiescent inactive stage exit the cell cycle.
- Interphase includes G1 followed by S and G2 phase. After G2 M Phase starts.
- Crossing over is an exchange of DNA between non-sister chromatids of homologous chromosomes. Crossing over takes place at the pachytene stage of prophase 1.
- At the diplotene stage synaptonemal complex dissolves and paired homologous chromosomes start to separate.
- At Prophase, chromatin disintegrates followed by degradation of the nuclear membrane. At metaphase chromosomes align at the equator followed by centromere division and segregation at Anaphase. Then Telophase arrives.
- If APC is not available, Anaphase will not be executed properly hence the division of centromere and segregation will be affected.
- DNA Replication / Synthesis takes place at the S-Phase of the Interphase.
In conclusion, don’t forget to check other chapters’ NEET Previous year questions too. Keep reading at MBD.
Revise the chapter- Chapter 10.pmd (ncert.nic.in)