Do you need Melatonin Sleep Supplements?
Melatonin is a common sleep supplement that is used when the body doesn’t make sufficient melatonin naturally. Melatonin sleep supplement uses are growing day to day. Almost 3 million Americans are taking these supplements according to a national worldwide survey of 2012. Melatonin sleep supplements are made from animals or even microorganisms. They can also be prepared from synthetic sources.
What is melatonin?
To begin with, let’s understand what is melatonin. Melatonin is a hormone that secretes from the pineal gland of the brain. The pineal gland is a small endocrine gland that attaches to the roof of the third ventricle of the brain. It is pea size-shaped organ. Melatonin is also known as a sleep hormone because it helps in sleeping. It is an amine hormone that derives from serotonin. Melatonin contributes to the body’s biological clock, which is controlled by the suprachiasmatic nucleus of the hypothalamus. Melatonin is liberated during the darkness not in the light. It helps to reduce depression, provide better eye health and provide relief from acid reflux. Melatonin sleep supplement is made from animals and microorganisms and can be made synthetically.
Health benefits of melatonin sleep supplement
- Maintains circadian rhythm (24-hour internal clock that regulates sleepiness and alertness ).
- People with delayed sleep-wake disorder have trouble sleeping and waking up. People who face the problem of sleep-wake take melatonin sleep supplements.
- Helps to cure jet lag disorder (a type of sleep disorder that occurs when people travel by air across multiple time zone. Researchers advised that melatonin sleep supplements help to cure jet lag.
- Up to 80% of people feel anxiety before and after surgery. Melatonin sleep supplements help to reduce anxiety before surgery. But it is not sure that it heals the anxiety after surgery.
- May help to increase the level of human growth hormone in men.
- Melatonin is high in antioxidants that help to prevent cell damage and keeps the eye healthy. Melatonin is beneficial in treating conditions like glaucoma and age-related macular degeneration.
- Helps to treat Gastroesophageal reflux disease in this case backflow of stomach acid into the esophagus that will cause heartburn.
- A recurring type of headache that causes severe pain or a pulsing sensation, on the side of the head is known as a migraine attack. It is treated after checkups but melatonin supplement also helps to relieve pain.
Dosage: Melatonin Sleep Supplements
For sleep the standard dose of sleep supplement is 1-10 mg per day. Must read the label and consult with a doctor. A person when taking the supplement for the first time should take it in small amounts, as need dose can increase. For maximum effectiveness take this supplement before 30 minutes.
Common side effects
- Stomach ache
- Feeling sleepy during daytime
- Dry and itchy skin
- Pains in arms as well as in legs
Serious side effects
Serious side effects are very less. If a person feels sad or upset must consult a doctor which may lead to depression.
- Any type of bleeding that occurs from the wound doesn’t stop.
- Occurs spinning in the ear ( vertigo)
- Eyesight problem ( blurred vision)
- An allergic reaction may occur.
Sleep supplement melatonin interactions
Melatonin helps to interact with various medications that further increase the side effects. As examples:
- Blood thinners
- Birth control medicine(oral contraceptives)
- Diabetes medicine
- High blood pressure medicine
- Heavy amount of alcohol
Any person who wants to take melatonin and suffers from any serious disease must take a doctor’s permission before taking these medications.
- Pregnant women must avoid this medication as it harms the unborn baby.
- Breastfeeding mothers are advised to not take this medicine as it passes into the milk and cause adverse effect to the babies.
- Avoid driving while taking this melatonin it will cause drowsiness.
- Must take permission from the doctor before giving this medicine to children and consult about the dose also.
- Avoid melatonin during the time of depression.
- Must avoid the melatonin sleep supplement for that patient who is suffering from seizure disorders.
Some of the basic queries related to melatonin sleep supplement
Is melatonin present in food?
Researchers found that melatonin is present in some food. Foods that are high in hormones may produce health benefits by increasing the melatonin level in the blood. Some of the food that contains high melatonin are nuts like pistachios, which contain the highest amount of melatonin, egg, fish, strawberries, tart cherries, tomato, peppers, grapes, etc.
Is melatonin helps in preventing Covid-19?
Researchers conclude that melatonin particularly helps to treat covid-19 at early stages.
Does melatonin help to treat cancer symptoms?
Melatonin sleep supplements help to treat cancer’s small side effects. Must remember that unproven products should not use to replace or delay conventional medical treatment for cancer. Some products can interfere with the treatment of cancer or have risks for people who’ve been diagnosed with cancer. So must consult with a doctor before taking any medicines.
Is melatonin help to treat insomnia?
Insomnia means trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, or both. When these symptoms present for a very long time it is called chronic insomnia.
According to guidelines from the American College of Physicians (2016) and the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (2017), melatonin supplementation is not that effective to cure chronic insomnia.
Is melatonin work for shift workers?
Shift workers are those who have to work at night and sleep during the daytime. But many shift workers feel sleepy at night and can’t able to sleep during the daytime. According to some research, melatonin supplement helps shift workers.
Melatonin in older peoples
Melatonin secretion decreases as age increases. Due to less secretion sleep-wake cycle is disturbed. Researchers suggest that older people should take supplements after consulting with a doctor. Melatonin may also help people with mild cognitive impairment or Alzheimer’s disease.
Does a light bulb alter melatonin?
Light bulb blocks the natural melatonin production level during sleep. The effect was most significant for younger children. Light after dark lowers the melatonin levels. Electronic light-emitting devices such as laptops, televisions, smartphones, and tablets often use at night or are used after dark, will lower the melatonin level. Children should stop using light-emitting devices or screen time one hour before bedtime.
To conclude, melatonin is a common sleep supplement that is used when the body doesn’t make sufficient melatonin naturally. Melatonin is derived from the amino acid serotonin. It significantly maintains the circadian rhythm and sleep-wake cycle, helps to cure jet lag, maintains anxiety levels, and many more. Melatonin sleep supplements can have various drawbacks like nausea, dizziness, stomach ache, vertigo, blurred vision, and feeling sleepy during day time. Before taking any dose of melatonin sleep supplements must consult with the doctor to avoid any type of difficulties.